The Short Version
Ahead of Thomas Tuchel’s official England squad announcement on Friday, May 22, 2026, several high-profile names have been left out (details emerging ahead of the full official list). Key points: (1) Harry Maguire is left out and said he was “shocked and gutted,” confirming the news himself on social media; (2) Cole Palmer (Chelsea) and Phil Foden (Manchester City) are also set to miss out, per ESPN sources; (3) Ivan Toney earns a shock recall despite having played just two minutes under Tuchel; (4) Kobbie Mainoo is reportedly included, reportedly at the expense of Adam Wharton; (5) Tuchel’s centre-back core is expected to be Ezri Konsa and Marc Guéhi, with Levi Colwill filling the role once Maguire’s; (6) The full 26-man squad is announced Friday morning; the FA must submit to FIFA by May 31; (7) England open in Group L against Croatia on June 17.
”Shocked and Gutted”
The first word came from Maguire himself. Before Tuchel had said anything publicly, the Manchester United defender posted on social media that he had been left out — and that he did not accept the logic of it.
He had, by his own account, earned his place. Maguire started 14 of Manchester United’s last 16 Premier League games under Michael Carrick after losing his spot earlier in the season, and his form earned a recall to the England squad in March. He impressed in a 1-1 draw with Uruguay and came on as a substitute in a 1-0 loss to Japan. He is a player with 66 caps who played in the Euro 2020 final and missed Euro 2024 only through injury.
“I was confident I could have played a major part this summer,” he said, calling himself “shocked and gutted.” It is the language of a player who believed he had done everything asked of him — and found that it was not enough.

Tuchel’s Logic
The decision is not about form. It is about system.
Tuchel wants a more dynamic, flexible back line with greater long-term potential. The starting centre-backs are expected to be Ezri Konsa and Marc Guéhi, both of whom enjoyed strong seasons, with Konsa offering versatility by also being able to play right-back — something the German manager considers crucial for his tactical system. Chelsea’s Levi Colwill is expected to be included to fill the role once Maguire’s, despite only recently returning from a serious knee injury.
It is a coach prioritising profile over reputation. Maguire is a traditional, aerially dominant centre-back; Tuchel is building something quicker and more adaptable. In that calculus, a decade of service and 66 caps do not guarantee a seat on the plane.

Palmer and Foden: The Bigger Shock
If Maguire’s omission was a surprise, the reported absences of Cole Palmer and Phil Foden are something closer to a statement.
Chelsea’s Cole Palmer and Manchester City’s Phil Foden are set to miss out, sources confirmed to ESPN. These are not fringe players. They are among the most gifted attacking talents England has produced in years — Palmer a Chelsea talisman, Foden a Premier League title-winner and former Player of the Season. Their exclusion, if confirmed in the official list, would rank among the most significant calls of any squad announcement at this World Cup.
It signals a manager unafraid to leave star names at home if they do not fit the shape and balance he wants. For England fans accustomed to seeing these faces, it is a jarring break with the recent past.
Toney In: The Other Side of the Coin
For every established name left out, a less expected one comes in.
Ivan Toney is set to earn a recall despite having played just two minutes of football under Tuchel. Kobbie Mainoo, the Manchester United youngster, has seemingly secured his place — reportedly at the expense of Crystal Palace’s Adam Wharton. The pattern is consistent: Tuchel is picking for role and fit, not for status or sentiment. A target striker who suits a particular game plan can leapfrog more celebrated names; a young midfielder in form can edge out a more established one.
It is the same logic in two directions — and it is unmistakably the manager’s own.
What It Means
England arrive at this World Cup among the favourites, with Tuchel having led them through qualifying. But this squad announcement reveals the kind of tournament he intends to run: ruthless, system-first, and indifferent to reputation.
There is risk in it. Leaving behind Palmer’s invention and Foden’s class is a gamble that the structure will outperform the sum of individual brilliance. There is also clarity. Players now know exactly what Tuchel values, and it is not the comfort of the familiar.
England open their tournament in Group L against Croatia on June 17. The full 26-man squad is confirmed Friday morning, and the FA must submit its final list to FIFA by May 31. By then, the names left out may say as much about this England team as the names included.
FAQ
Is Harry Maguire in England’s 2026 World Cup squad? No. Maguire confirmed on social media that he has been left out of Thomas Tuchel’s squad, saying he was “shocked and gutted.” He has 66 caps and played in the Euro 2020 final, but missed out on the final 26-man group.
Why was Harry Maguire left out? The decision is reportedly about system rather than form. Tuchel wants a more dynamic, flexible back line; Ezri Konsa and Marc Guéhi are expected to start, with Konsa’s ability to also play right-back valued highly. Maguire had a solid season but did not fit the profile.
Are Cole Palmer and Phil Foden in the squad? According to ESPN sources, both Palmer (Chelsea) and Foden (Manchester City) are set to miss out. This would be confirmed in the official squad announced Friday, May 22.
Who got a surprise call-up? Ivan Toney is set for a recall despite playing just two minutes under Tuchel, and Manchester United youngster Kobbie Mainoo is reportedly included, reportedly at the expense of Adam Wharton.
When is England’s official squad announced? Thomas Tuchel announces the full 26-man squad on Friday morning, May 22, 2026. The FA must submit its final list to FIFA by May 31.
Who will be England’s centre-backs without Maguire? Ezri Konsa and Marc Guéhi are expected to be the first-choice pairing, with Levi Colwill also in contention after returning from a knee injury.
When does England play its first World Cup match? England open in Group L against Croatia on June 17, 2026.
How many caps does Maguire have? Maguire has 66 caps for England since his debut in 2017, scoring seven goals, and was a regular through the Euro 2020 final.
Related Articles
- The 43-Year-Old and the 28-Year Wait: Scotland Names Its 26 — A neighbouring nation’s very different squad story
- Neuer Returns, El Mala Comes from Nowhere: Germany Names the 26 — Another big nation, another set of bold calls
- The Curse of First Place: France Tops the FIFA Ranking — Where England (4th) sits in the world ranking
- Cristiano Goes to His Sixth: Portugal Names the 26 for 2026 — Squad selection as a story of who stays and who goes
- External sources: Sky Sports — Maguire left out · ESPN — Palmer, Foden, Maguire out; Toney in · Goal — “Shocked and gutted”
About the author: James O’Connor is a football correspondent at Touchline Global, covering the England national team and the Premier League since 2013, with a focus on tactics and squad-building. Contact: james.oconnor@touchline.global · Twitter: @JOConnorTL · Profile: touchline.global/authors/james-oconnor


